Friday, May 15, 2015

What Ever Happened to Good Ole' Fashioned Visiting?

I'm a thinker. I've been thinking a LOT lately. It's 7 a.m. and I'm in my dining room drinking a Diet Coke (don't be judgey, Oklahoma has been experiencing monsoon conditions for the last 7 days, which means I have been in the house with 5 children and a husband recovering from back surgery..so, just please. Spare a little grace. ) and I cannot stop thinking about this question.

What happened to good, old fashioned visiting? Remember when ladies used to get together and quilt? Or spend a day canning? I don't quilt or can (yet), but I would have no problem say, getting together with a friend and folding laundry over ice tea. 

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been reading about pioneer women. The women who packed up their families and all their belongings and necessities that would fit in their covered wagon, and followed their husbands and fathers across the continent to stake a claim on some land and begin a new life. The books I've read are actually just compilations of diaries that these women kept on the the journey. There was a common thread within their writings, which was friendship, support, care, comfort, and community that they shared with one another. They helped each other care for their sick children, they did the wash together, delivered each others babies, cooked together, sewed together, exchanged bonnet patterns and even spread out their prairie skirts to create a makeshift "lady's room" right there on the open prairie.

One of the fondest memories I have while spending time with my grandmother in the summers was going with her on an afternoon visit. We would pull into Ms. Joy's driveway and almost immediately she would burst out her front door and welcome us in as if she had been expecting us all day. Ms. Joy would put on a pot of coffee, and there was always some kind of pie to be served on her white Correlle dishes and I would sit and listen to these two ladies talk about sewing, gardening, canning, quilting, and whatever else was important to them. After a hand or two of dominos (which I HATED) we would load up and head back to grandma's house. Nothing fancy about it. No celebration. It was just a normal day, visiting a friend for no other reason than to just be social and neighborly. 

Why don't we do that now? Is it because I'm 39 and not 69? Because it's 2015 and not 1985? or 1885?

What would that look like today?  I think the easy thing would be to meet up at a Starbucks or Panera, but to me, that is missing the whole point. There is something honest and authentic about welcoming someone into your home. Home.

What would that mean for me? For my guest? It would mean that I would have to be okay with you stopping in and being greeted by a baby in a diaper and t-shirt and dried oatmeal in his hair. It would mean that my visitor would most likely be stepping over abandoned shoes and Matchbox cars, library books, piles of laundry and graham cracker crumbs on the floor. You would most likely see the breakfast and/or lunch dishes in the sink, a fluffy dog (roughly the size of small horse) begging for your attention, and a refrigerator covered in fingerprints and priceless works of art. It would also mean that I would have to make sure there is toilet paper in the guest bathroom because no matter how many times I ask the precious babes to use their bathroom upstairs, they just will not. 

But I also hope that you will find a place where you are always welcome. You'll find a weary-in-a-good-way mom that is so happy to have a visitor.  She will most likely be in a raggedy t-shirt and jeans, and barefoot of course. There is always coffee and tea in abundance in this house, and sometimes even chocolate chip cookies! I hope that you would find laughter, kindness, love, encouragement, friendship and a safe place to just be you. Most of all, I hope you will find that ours is a home where Jesus is Lord. You'll probably have to shove some toys off the well-worn leather sofa and pet the dog. PET the dog. Focus on the dog. Like the whole time. He is....well, needy. Sometimes, I think that friendship is a lost art. We get so wrapped up in the busyness of doing nothing that we forget, or maybe we never learned what it is to be a friend.

I have a lot more thinking to do on this. What are your thoughts?? I would love to know!



2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. the art of visiting with someone in their home is completely lost. I miss the times when life was simple. I love the way people used to just go for a "visit". It seems like life today is just so "busy". This is really sad! No one has time for each other. Life is short, we will all wake up one day when we're older and will wish we had taken the time to just "visit " with those friends. I think the pioneer women were strong women. I love to read about them. My favorite show growing up was Little House on the Prairie and now it is "When Calls the Heart", they take me back to that time in life, where there were no cell phones, no TV, just the simple way of life. I think it is sad for kids today, in a way, they don't have a clue to what life was back then. Kids, today have so much! I try to tell my son that, back in the day, kids would be happy just to get one toy and a pair of socks. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of our eminities, but sometimes it would be nice to not be so "busy" all the time and "enjoy" the simple life and "visit".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being a child, and we would go "visit." When people came to town at my grandparents, who only lived a block from us...they would call and say, "So and so is here if you would like to come visit." We don't seem to do that anymore. I miss it. It's all about people!

    ReplyDelete