Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies

About 5 years ago, I came across this recipe and it has been my go-to CC Cookie recipe since. The secret is in the browned butter and extra egg yolk. This is my first baking tutorial......ever! Here we go! 



You will need all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, baking soda, salt, 14 TBS salted butter, pure vanilla extract, 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, and chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk chocolate....most of the time I use milk chocolate). 




Start by warming 10 TBS of salted butter over medium heat. You don't wanna walk away here, keep an eye on this and stir often. 




In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, 2 tsp vanilla extract, and 3/4 tsp salt.



After a few minutes, the butter will start to get foamy on top like this.....continue to watch it and stir frequently. 



Then, the butter will start to get bubbly like this.



After it bubbles up, it will get foamy again and start to brown and smell like toffee. When the butter is a deep golden color, take it off the heat and add the remaining 4 TBS of butter.



As soon as the added butter melts, you can pour all of this into the bowl of sugars and vanilla.



As soon as this mixture cools down a bit, you can add the egg and egg yolk...just beat it up with a whisk. 




Add 1 3/4 cups of flour and 1/2 tsp baking soda.



Add about 1 cup (more or less) of chocolate chips. I just used what I had on hand in the fridge so I didn't have to use my unopened bag. There are milk chocolate chips and Hershey mini-kisses in there.



After you put them on a cookie sheet (I scoop them out with a melon baller), let them chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This step cools down the butter and allows the cookie to rise instead of spreading out too much.



Bake them at 375 F for about 8-10 minutes....just watch them. You want them to be brown on the edges, soft in the middle. Oh, and if you want them to be pretty and round...don't overcrowd the pan like I did here. I should have baked the batch on 4 separate cookie sheets...but I crowded them onto two. My kids do not care if they are perfectly round and honestly,  As Sweet Brown would say, "Ain't nobody got time fo dat."



Happy baking! 

2 comments: