Friday, February 15, 2013

Legacy

Its always been a joke in my family, that one legacy passed down through the generations is thrifting. I come from a long line of thrifters. My mother, grandmother, and those before them. For me, thriftiness is a necessity AND for the thrill of the hunt. But I am sure, that for my grandmother and those before her, thriftiness was a necessity. 

When I was growing up I was dragged to garage sales every Saturday morning, and I loathed it. Now, I do the same with my kids, but they love going! See there? Passing down that legacy! 

When I go to garage sales and thrift stores, I am always looking for antique (100 years or older) or vintage (less then 100 years old) glassware, dishes, flatware, ironstone, tea pots, serving pieces....etc.  Oh, and chairs, I have a thing for old chairs....and books...and mason jars, milk glass, old tool boxes, you get the idea!  Here are a few of my recent finds!




Fostoria cream and sugar set.




I found this at a Goodwill store. It is stamped "Made in England" on the bottom of the silver stand. I think it will be perfect for cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving and Christmas.


I could NOT pass up these little nesting coffee mugs. I found these at Goodwill also. I love the color and patterns, but most of all, I love the USA stamp on the bottom. I am on the lookout for one more polka dot mug and matching saucers.
 


Are you a thrifter?



2 comments:

  1. Great finds! I SO wish we lived closer together!!! No one else likes to go thrifting with me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erin! You are gonna have to make a trip up here!

    ReplyDelete